POSITION: Head of Human Resources
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer (COO)
TwinStrand Biosciences is a Seattle-based genomics company focused on developing cutting-edge approaches for early detection of cancer, treatment optimization, and risk prediction using our ultra-accurate Duplex Sequencing™ Technology. Our technology enables researchers and clinicians to detect genetic “needles in a haystack.” By identifying ultra-low frequency DNA mutations with a resolution 10,000-fold greater than conventional tools on the market, TwinStrand enables detection, quantification, and characterization of variants that were previously undetectable. We have recently closed a $50 million Series B financing and will continue our accelerated growth to make a difference in life sciences and medicine.
We are seeking a highly experienced individual to join our organization as Head ofHuman Resources, focused on supporting and guiding our talented team. As a Head of HR, you will work with all TwinStrand’s employees, including scientists, technicians, marketers, field force, operations, legal, etc. and will directly impact the way the company is shaped as it continues its accelerated growth.
At TwinStrand our philosophy is Science First, People First. We are looking for an HR leader who will share our philosophy, passion and culture and thus will be able to integrate and balance the rigor of HR strategies, processes and tools with the company’s cultural and talent development needs.
You will serve as our leader across all aspects of HR, including but not limited to employee relations, learning and talent management, HR information systems, Total Rewards including non monetary benefits, culture and diversity equity and inclusion. This presents a growth leadership opportunity for a human resources leader with demonstrated experience in a high-growth company in the life science industry, a passion for people, strong expertise in all aspects of human resources, and a service-oriented leadership viewpoint.
- Responsible for developing and executing a competitive, employer of choice human resource strategy in support of the overall business plan.
- Using guidance from the executive team, create, develop and enhance a series of linked strategies that encompass organizational design, talent acquisition, learning talent development and management, compensation and benefits.
- Assess and develop HR policies, processes, and systems for the whole company that adhere to local, national and global laws, ethics and compliance.
- Build the HR infrastructure needed to support TwinStrand’s growth and business strategies, including coordinating activities that match the needs of the organization while ensuring all employees feel welcome and included, value diversity and understand the culture and heritage of the company.
- Develop and maintain comprehensive strategic recruiting and compensation plans that attract and retain top talent.
- Develop, implement and update competitive comprehensive compensation and benefits plans within assigned budget.
- Implement and support annual strategic planning and performance management processes in line with the company’s annual and long-term goals and leadership behaviors.
- Lead initiatives and continuous improvement related to business operations, including establishing best practices and assessing key performance metrics.
- Develop and maintain the on-boarding plans and ongoing training strategies and activities, and manage internal and external resources to deliver on training plans in line with the needs of individual departments.
- Develop and deliver tools, training and resources for new and experienced people managers across all departments.
- Create, develop, and promote a culture of innovation, scientific rigor, teamwork, commitment, focus, excellence, and impact. through executives, people leaders and individual contributors across all the departments within TwinStrand.
- Manage internal communications and related projects and initiatives including tools and systems in support of communications, engagement surveys, pulse check surveys, etc.
- Support management and employees by providing human resources advice, counsel, and decisions.
- Monitor and ensure the organization’s compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; review and modify policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law; apply this knowledge to communicate changes in policy, practice, and resources to company’s management.
EXPERIENCE AND CAPABILITIES
- BA/BS in a related field; advanced degree and PHR/SPHR certification preferred.
- A minimum of 15 years of HR experience, with at least five years of HR leadership experience, in a high-growth environment, with an emphasis on interpersonal relationship building, employee relations, and performance management.
- Familiarity with HRIS databases (e.g., ADP, PeopleSoft, SAP) and proficient knowledge of Microsoft suite and Google Drive/Google Docs.
- Proven Track record of managing complex HR related programs and projects.
- Excellent knowledge of employment legislation and regulations.
- Thorough knowledge of human resource management principles and best practices including generalist work with comprehensive knowledge in compensation and benefits.
- Efficient, detail-oriented, and thorough planning skills.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Team player who is comfortable in a fast-paced startup company with ambitious goals and timelines.
OUTSTANDING CANDIDATES WILL HAVE
- Extensive experience in the life sciences industry.
- Experience in supporting companies or Business Units with diverse and vertically integrated activities (e.g., R&D, manufacturing, commercial, and corporate staff).
- Experience with private/public company stock option plans.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with experience working directly with the executive leadership.
PHYSICAL AND TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 10 pounds at times.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally up to 10% of time.
WHAT WE OFFER
- A mission to be proud of. You will help to provide access to a technology with unprecedented sensitivity that makes it possible to solve previously unsolvable scientific problems in basic research and translational medicine, with direct and immediate benefits to human health.
- Beautiful new waterfront facility overlooking Puget Sound, centrally located in downtown Seattle.
- Competitive compensation plan.
- Comprehensive benefits: medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and dependents, sponsored life, short and long-term disability insurance, and 401(k) retirement savings plan.
- Subsidized transportation program: parking, bus, ferry, rideshare and more.
- Onsite gym, showers, bike storage.
- Social events, weekly happy hours, well-stocked kitchen.
- Recognition that outside life exists and is important, that flexibility is needed for family and that work can sometimes be effectively carried out remotely.
- Casual, but high-performing work environment.
ABOUT TWINSTRAND BIOSCIENCES
We are a vibrant, young company committed to applying a powerful new genomic technology across disciplines to improve human health and accelerate scientific discovery. Our mission is to develop and deliver the unprecedented accuracy of Duplex Sequencing™ for applications in the life sciences and medicine where it can do the greatest good for the maximum number of people.
Our business is multifaceted and encompasses internal development projects, external collaborations, and empowering of our partner organizations and customers. Our mission is strongly rooted in academic principles of responsible citizenship within the broader scientific community, yet executed with the nimbleness of a startup, such that research can be rapidly translated into solutions that benefit the scientific and medical community. To the greatest extent possible, we strive for open sharing of knowledge and discovery through academic presentations and peer-reviewed publications.
At TwinStrand we put a premium on creativity, dynamic thinking and a rigorous scientific approach. You will be challenged to push the boundaries of your knowledge, skills and comfort zone and to take ownership of your area of expertise. We expect all team members to take on some form of leadership role over time and mentor new team members as we continue to expand. We want every member of our community to come to work excited each day and able to take pride in the high-quality science to improve human health that they are contributing to.
TwinStrand Biosciences is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.