Once you have completed your application and at least 3 references have been received, please contact the sub office at 253-373-7814 to be considered for the Kent School District substitute list.
POSITION: Substitute (Guest) Teachers - Emergeny Substitute Certificates are now being accepted
LOCATION: Varies – all district locations in the Kent School District
ANTICIPATED TIMES: Varies according to building hours in either 4-hour or full day sessions
SALARY: $175.00 for full day assignment; $100.00 for half day assignment, plus a $200 bonus for every 20 full days of service.
ASSIGNMENT: The substitute (guest) teacher works on an on-call, day-by-day basis, substituting for certificated staff members of the Kent School District. An automated system is used to arrange assignments in advance. However, early morning phone calls may occur between 6:00 am and 8:00 am if necessary.
The guest teacher provides instruction to students (as directed by the instructor’s lesson plans) including assessment, instruction, and evaluation of students in the absence of the regular teacher. Guest teachers may also be asked to provide class coverage on an as needed basis. The essential duties of a guest teacher are:
- Provide instruction as assigned in the absence of the regular instructor
- Maintain order in the classroom and in the building
- Interact with students and maintain a cordial and cooperative working relationship with colleagues, parents, administrators, and other district staff
- Provide guidance to students that will promote their educational development
- Maintain adequate and careful records as required by law, district policy, and administrative regulation
- Interact positively with students, colleagues, parents, and patrons of the school district
- Provide for the care of school property and appropriate use of supplies, equipment, and utilities
- Assume responsibility for co-curricular and other duties beyond regular classroom activities as determined by the principal and agreed upon by the permanent teacher
- Follow teacher’s lesson plans and provide documentation as to the progress achieved during the substitute assignment
- Keep abreast of developments and improved techniques in education and adopt those which will contribute to the improvement of student performance
- Provide guidance to students that promote good citizenship
- Bachelor’s degree
- Valid Washington State Teaching Certificate
- Knowledge of classroom instruction and presentation techniques in a diverse, multi- cultural environment
- Knowledge of the assigned curriculum
- Ability to analyze and synthesize data
- Ability to produce accurate records and reports
- Ability to make independent decisions
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff, parents, and the general public.
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to adapt instruction and practice for all students in a classroom
- Ability to learn and operate a variety of software programs
- Ability to organize and coordinate workload
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable
- Ability to exercise sound, independent judgment, including appropriate handling of confidential matters
Please note: To be a guest teacher, we MUST have OFFICIAL transcripts of your BA/BS transcripts on file.