Risk Advisory Intern - Summer 2020(
Job Number: 044687)
Who is Grant Thornton?
Grant Thornton is a collaborative, entrepreneurial firm on the move! As part of a dynamic, global organization of more than 42,000 people serving clients in more than 120 countries, we have the agility and focus it takes to be a leader.
Founded in Chicago in 1924, Grant Thornton LLP (Grant Thornton) is the U.S. member firm of Grant Thornton International Ltd, one of the world’s leading organizations of independent audit, tax and advisory firms. Grant Thornton has revenue in excess of $1.56 billion and operates 58 offices across the United States with more than 565 partners and 8,000+ employees.
Grant Thornton works with a broad range of publicly and privately held companies, government agencies, financial institutions, and civic and religious organizations. Core industries served include consumer and industrial products, financial services, not-for-profit, private equity, and technology. Grant Thornton focuses on serving dynamic organizations that pursue growth holistically – whether through revenue improvement, leadership, mission fulfillment or innovation.
We are committed to capitalizing on our strengths and serving dynamic organizations that share our values and drive. Our global values of collaboration, leadership, excellence, agility, respect, and responsibility (“CLEARR”) guide our behaviors and fuel our ambition to be the firm that makes a difference every day.
We provide companies with the guidance that they need to help run their businesses, establish robust internal controls, use information effectively and improve performance. These services include compliance, consulting services, information technology solutions, forensic accounting and investigative services, recovery and reorganization, tax preparation, and valuation, to name a few.
What is Risk?
The digitization of currencies, transactions, relationships, experiences and assets has transformed entire industries. Technologies extend borders and reach, creating new customers, business partners, avenues of access, methods of innovation and forms of value. At the same time, ongoing disruption in the marketplace and in the competitive and regulatory landscape presents continually evolving strategic, operational, financial and other risks.
To move forward in this challenging environment, many management teams are turning to advisers like Grant Thornton LLP for broader industry and business perspectives and proven experience to assist them with developing and implementing their risk management programs.
Grant Thornton’s Advisory professionals are progressive thinkers who create, protect, transform value today, so our clients have the opportunity to thrive and grow. Our advisory practice creates holistic solutions delivered by innovative, curious professionals who bring technical depth and industry insight to our clients.
Risk Interns are responsible for delivering engagements ranging from business process and information systems controls assessments and testing to support regulatory, compliance and other strategic and operational engagements.
RISK ADVISORY SERVICES ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Evaluate and test business processes and IT controls and identify areas of risk
- Apply current knowledge of trends to identify business risk management issues and other opportunities for improvement
- Work with the client to plan engagement strategy, define objectives, and address business risks and issues and supporting controls
- Work with audit and assurance teams and the client to plan engagement strategy, define objectives, and address business process an IT controls risks and issues
- Execute assigned client engagements from start to completion of information systems assessments and/or business process control reviews
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of assigned client operations, processes and business objectives, and then utilize that knowledge on assigned engagements
- Participate in recruiting efforts as needed
- Meet or exceed targeted billing hours (utilization)
- Assist practice leadership in creating proposals, budgets, and work plans. Participate in other business development activities as appropriate
- Other duties as assigned
Why become a Risk Intern?
A Risk Intern will gain exposure to various areas of the practice by participating as an active member on consulting and compliance projects and by becoming an integral part of the delivery teams. As a Risk Intern your primary responsibility will be executing high quality Risk projects and services from beginning to end under the supervision of experienced Risk leadership. You will be responsible for efficiently managing your workload to budget and learning how to apply technical skills across our various Risk solutions. As a Risk Intern you’ll have opportunities to build client relationships by developing a deep understanding of our clients’ businesses and delivering value through your insight and quality work. In addition, as a Risk intern you’ll focus on continuously developing your technical and professional skills to grow and expand your role in the Risk practice. Additional responsibilities may include:
What are we looking for in an Intern?
- Performing detailed analysis to identify and assess compliance or opportunities for improvement, documenting conclusions, and providing recommendations
- Utilizing and continuously learning new technologies to collaborate with team members and enhance service delivery
- Utilizing various data collection techniques, selecting appropriate method and prioritization to fit project objectives and deliverables, and applying established analytical models to evaluate data, costs and benefits
Interested candidates should be self-starters and should demonstrate strength in or a desire to build skills related to Grant Thornton’s core values of: Collaboration, Leadership, Excellence, Agility, Respect and Responsibility.Risk Advisory Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Information Technology, MIS or related field. A Master’s degree is a plus.
- Desire to pursue CPA, PMP, CISA, CISSP, CIA, CAMS, or CISM license/certification preferred
- Major and overall GPA of 3.2/4.0
- Ability to work additional hours as needed and travel 60%-100% as required
- Interest to work cross functionally throughout different business processes within an organization
- Excellent analytical, communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Strong technical aptitude and problem-solving skills
- Effective project and time management skills for handling multiple priorities and simultaneous projects
- Enthusiasm to learn through a combination of structured, on-the-job and self-directed training
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively in a complex team environment
- Desire to pursue applicable professional certification as outlined above
- Exceptional client service and communication skills with a demonstrated ability to develop and maintain outstanding client relationships
- Ability to manage multiple engagements and competing priorities in a rapidly growing, fast-paced, interactive, results-based team environment
- Strong verbal, written, and presentation skills. Additionally, excellent analytical, organizational, and project management skills
As part of our Risk team you would help our clients assess their internal controls environment via Internal Audit, SOX Readiness / Compliance, IT Audit Support, and SOC projects. Risk Interns are exposed to various projects across Risk solutions, allowing the interns to discover the advisory services most suited to their skills and interests. Interns can expect to work closely with other staff, managers, and partners on all phases of the engagement lifecycle including planning, engagement management, and project wrap up. In addition, interns are expected to actively contribute to Risk business growth by identifying business development opportunities, participating in marketing and brand initiatives and assisting with development of Grant Thornton thought leadership.TRAINING:
Grant Thornton LLP provides both local and national training programs related to an individual’s job responsibilities. We are committed to ongoing professional development and we encourage individuals to attend outside training seminars.BENEFITS:
Grant Thornton LLP offers an outstanding opportunity for career growth and development, an attractive compensation and incentive program, generous benefits including immediate participation in our 401(k) plan, and a flexible work environment that offers individual enrichment opportunities in a team environment.
It is Grant Thornton’s policy to promote equal employment opportunities. All personnel decisions, including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits and termination, are made without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Primary Location - US-Washington-Seattle
Suite 2800 520 Pike Street