Persons applying for paid coaching positions must meet district and WIAA requirements including a valid background check. Applicants for head coaching positions must be at least 21 years of age. Applicants for assistant coaching positions must be at least 19 years of age. They must also have a valid first aid and CPR card. The following procedures must be followed in order to apply for paid coaching positions:
- Complete the KSD classified online application process including professional reference forms.
- Annually complete the WIAA general rules clinic and the WIAA approved rule clinic for the sport being coached prior to the end of the third week of the sports season.
- Have successfully completed Concussion recognition and management with Return to Play Protocols training as required by Washington State Law that must be renewed every three (3) years.
- Have successfully completed Sudden Cardiac Arrest Awareness and Training as required by Washington State Law that must be renewed every three (3) years.
- Before the beginning of the third year of coaching, a member school coach (paid or volunteer) must complete a school district approved Coaching Principles training, or complete the NFHS Coaches Fundamentals Course, or attend all sessions of the WIAA Coaches School, or other Coaches School as approved by the WIAA or the local school district. After initial completion, coaches will be required to repeat this training every three (3) years
- Building athletic directors will monitor the applicant pool for their open positions and contact applicants as necessary.
- If hired, the paid coach must complete the hiring paperwork and KSD trainings.