FREEMAN MIDDLE SCHOOL
ASSISTANT BOYS BASKETBALL COACH
SUMMARY: Teaches sport activity to individual or groups by performing the following duties under direction of head basketball coach, athletic director and building principal.
- Help coordinate and lead program from grades 7-8.
- Organize and supervise all phases of the team assigned, as well as student-athletes with the expressed intent of meeting the stated objectives of the athletic program.
- Understand and implement the Code of Conduct as outlined in the school handbook.
- Conduct themselves and their teams in a professional manner. Lead by example.
- Communicates positively with players, coaches, staff, administration and parents.
- Understanding of Middle School philosophy regarding participation and growth
- Read and follow all WIAA and GSCL regulations pertaining to the sport. Make athletes aware of rules pertaining to their eligibility. Be responsible that each athlete has a physical exam by a physician as required by state law and that the physical, eligibility, and emergency forms are all turned in BEFORE the athlete turns out for practice.
- Be responsible for the care of equipment and facilities.
- Explain and demonstrate principles, techniques, and methods of regulating movement of body, hands, or feet to achieve proficiency in the sport coached.
- Prepare practice schedules to ensure safe and progressive movement to a common goal.
- Is a teacher at all times. He/She teaches skills and techniques of the game, sportsmanship, loyalty, honesty, and respect for teammates, opponents, and officials.
- Communicate with physician, player, and parents in case of an injury to a player.
- Insist players maintain academic discipline by checking weekly on the players' grades.
- Determine strategy during game, independently or in conference with other coaches based on factors such as weakness in opposing team.
- Attend camps or clinics to keep up with new coaching methods and strategies.
- Explain and enforce safety rules and regulations.
- Handle the publicity for the sport with the best interest of the school in mind.
- Organize and conduct competition and tournaments.
- Collaborates with the athletic director when ordering supplies, equipment, and materials ensuring all ASB policies and procedures are followed. Assist Athletic Director with the inventory, check-out, and check-in of all equipment and uniforms.
- Keep record of receipts and expenditures related to assigned budget.
- As a smaller school, we share athletes and must work collaboratively to promote communication, spirit, and team work within the school district.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Preference for candidates with previous basketball coaching experience.
- Preference given to candidates with experience in building successful youth basketball programs.
- Must favorably pass the Washington State Patrol/FBI background check.
- Demonstrate mature behavior and ability to use sound judgment in communicating with students, parents, staff, coaches, and community.
- Must have a valid first aid card or has a district approved sports medicine certificate.
- Must have or be willing to acquire training in the recognition and maintenance of concussions.
- Is knowledgeable of rules set down by the WIAA, Freeman Middle School, and Freeman School District.
Certificates & Licenses Clearances & Training
CPR/First Aid Certificate Washington State Patrol/FBI Background Check
Valid State Driver’s License Blood Borne Pathogen Training
Terms of Employment:
This is a contract beginning 1/6/20 and ending 2/18/20 during the 2019-2020 school year Middle School boys basketball season. Salary is based upon placement on the coaching salary schedule and years of experience ($1428).