Africatown Community Land Trust is working for community ownership of land in the Central District. This can support the cultural and economic thriving of people who are part of the African diaspora in the Greater Seattle area. The Africatown Community Land Trust board is comprised of real estate professionals, business executives, entrepreneurs, business professionals and long-time community members from the Central District.
The ACLT Community Home at Benu Community Homeprovides 24/7 transition assistance and supportive services for self-identifying males experiencing houselessness. Referrals to the program come from City of Seattle, Entry, and the City's Navigation team. Community guests are deemed qualified before intake. Community guests are regarded as having needs and generally may have physical disabilities, chronic and acute mental illness, active chemical dependency, and/or trauma. This is a low-barrier, program.
This Safety Advocate position is an Interim position for 6 months. The Safety Advocate will assist management,personnel,third-party partners,and guests in the building tomaintain safety compliance, assist in managing emergency situations, training staff and volunteers on emergency and safety protocols. Assist in maintaining the building's security.
To acquire, develop, and steward land in Greater Seattle to empower & preserve the
Vibrant and thriving black communities through land ownership.
- 100% Employer paid Medical, Dental and Vision plans
- Annual Medical Reimbursement $1,000
- Eleven Holidays Paid
- Personal Holidays
- Generous Vacation and Sick Time Off
- Professional Development Assistance
- Free Event Opportunities
- Work with talented and skilled ACLT Employees and Partners
- Contribute Positively to the Communityâ€¯
Typical duties may include but are not limited to the following.
Building Safetyand Security
Provide coverage of the entire building and site surveillance. This includes but limited to the following.
- Main entry and the front desk.
- Conduct routine property perimeter checks
- Sustain smoke-free rules on property, address any issues with Operations Manager
- Access oversight. Garagegate must be locked at sunset and opened at 6 am.Garbage pickup is Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday; gate must be unlocked at 5:30 am on those days only. After trash pickup, gates should be immediately locked.
- Monitor cameras via laptop or workstation. Report anything suspicious or worthy of follow-up or action.
- Security check including bag check each everyone upon entry to Benu Community Home except working staff; this will include off-shift staff, inside and outside guests, and community members.
- Build and maintain professional rapport with staff and guests.
- Attend and participate in safety committee and meetings.
- Be the Benu and Safety representative in the community and within the organization.
- Assist in creating and meeting emergency plans, goals and evacuation procedures.
- Manage front desk and building security, including welcoming clients, visitors and donors, monitoring security cameras and lobby, enforcing building and program rules, and sanitizing client belongings.
- Perform routine walk through of the entire building to engage with clients and ensure safety.
Safety Committee and Training
- You will be the point person responsible for training contracting and new safety personnel
- Responsible assisting in the planning and execution of safety protocols
- Train staff on emergency procedures i.e., Earthquake, Fire, First Aidetc.
This position requires the employee to work in an environment where there may be exposure to blood, bodily fluids, and other potentially infectious material. Other exposures could include cleaning supplies, chemicals involved in pest control, paint and other materials used in building maintenance. Working conditions may include interruptions, interactions with angry persons, and exposure to computer CRTs.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL ACUITY DEMANDS
The requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to hear telephone rings, phone conversation, doorbells, emergency alarms and face-to-face conversation.
- Able to hand write legibly.
- Vision that enables person to read normal size print and handwritten notes; and distance and peripheral vision than enables person to monitor large space and identify concerns that require staff response.
- Mobility/dexterity of hands/arms to enable keying into locked areas as well as using a computer and other office equipment.
- Able to sit for sustained periods of time.
- Able to walk the entire building and ascend and descend stairs quickly to move from one floor to another to respond to emergency situations.
- Two to three years of experience working as security or safety officer.
- Experience or knowledge of mental illness and addictions.
- Knowledge and experience with crisis intervention.
- Commitment to harm reduction program model.
- Ability to commit to developing and safekeeping a workplace that values and supports a culturally diverse work environment.
- Must have reliable phone or voicemail service in which to be reached.
- Ability to contribute to a work environment that fosters respect, teamwork, and excellence.
- COVID-19 vaccinated or willing to be.
- OSHA certified
- Previous work experience in programs that work with high needs participants, people experiencing houselessness and or mental illness as well as 24/7 facility.
- CPR/First Aid training
TO BE CONSIDERED
- Attach one PDF with a Resume with professional experience and Letter of Interest detailing how you qualify for position and why you are interested in working at Africatown Community Land Trust.