The substitute bus driver will fill in for absent employees as needed. The duties will be to safely transport students to and from school and school-sponsored activities. Most work hours are approximately 5:45 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. The hours vary greatly according to the assignment. Drivers may be asked to drive at any time of the day. Must be cognizant of and obey all state RCW’s and WAC’s as they apply to school bus driving. Must follow assigned route schedules, keep route up to date with dispatcher’s help and maintain student discipline procedures and training. Substitutes assist in maintaining equipment by keeping bus interior clean and reporting vehicle service in accordance with established procedure; be willing to be called upon to serve in the event of a disaster and perform other duties as may be assigned; drive a variety of school buses and drive regardless of the weather. The work requires exposure to traffic and some bending, stooping, lifting and stretching. The employee remains seated while driving and work requires visual acuity and concentration to ensure the safe operation of school buses. Substitute bus drivers may be placed into permanent positions as they become available.
- Must be 21 years of age; have less than 3 moving violations within the last 5 years; be in good health and willing to submit to a drug test.
- Have or be willing to acquire valid Washington State CDL license.
- Meet all state and district health and agility requirements; and meet all DOT, state, and district requirements for physical condition, criminal history records and drug and alcohol testing.
- Must keep state and district certifications current.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED and successfully complete the district bus driver training.
- Experience driving large vehicle is helpful.
- Any equivalent combination of education, experience and training that would provide the applicant with the desired knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the work would be an asset.
- Must have knowledge of traffic laws and safe school bus operating standards and procedures and the ability to operate a school bus safely.
- Must have ability to maintain order on a school bus.
- Must have ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with a variety of students and co-workers.
- Must have good communications skills and strong customer service skills.