Legal Director/Manager (Volunteer)
- This is a remote (work from home) position
- Please do not apply if you are seeking a paid position, as we cannot offer one at this time
- A minimum 6-month commitment is requested
Are you an experienced, successful, and savvy attorney with a broad range of legal skills relevant to a multi-faceted and growing organization? Wish more of your time could be spent directly on creating a better world for all?
Would you like to contribute to a worthwhile effort in the public interest?
The nonprofit news organization WhoWhatWhy (website at ) is looking for a volunteer Legal Director/Manager. You should be a practicing attorney in good standing and admitted to practice in the United States (preference given to those located in New York state or members of the New York State Bar), willing to put in at least one cumulative but focused hour a day, and able to check messages and respond to them on a timely basis.
You will be responsible for coordinating and providing organizational oversight to a team of volunteer legal professionals while coordinating and assisting with the handling of legal matters that arise from the organizationâ€™s daily operations. An important part of your service will be working with WhoWhatWhy's team of pro bono counsel who are specialists in certain areas of the law, and you will also take the lead in the development and implementation of sustainable internal procedures that reflect best practices consistent with high professional standards. Projects/tasks may include, among other things: contract drafting/review, pre-publication review, nonprofit status, employment law, intellectual property, data security/privacy, freedom of information, and liability.
You must be organized, efficient, and possess good judgment while demonstrating strong leadership, management, and communication skills.
You should be understanding, empathetic, and a good people person â€” and have a take-charge attitude, proactively addressing potential issues as well as responding quickly and constructively to problems as they arise.
Who We Are
WhoWhatWhy is a not-for-profit organization with a commitment to producing outstanding journalism and a growing reputation for its forward-looking business-model in the news space. We are largely staffed by skilled volunteers dedicated to elevating awareness and fostering a more vigorous democracy.
You will work remotely and on your own schedule, though we ask for a commitment of 5-10 hours per week of independent contractor time. Our team is spread throughout the US and the world and timely, online communication is essential.
- Experience overseeing the legal issues of an organization/business in a general counsel-type role
- Experience as a practicing attorney handling legal issues that growing organizations face (media or non-profit experience a plus)
- Experience working collaboratively with other attorneys
- No apparent potential or actual conflicts of interest
- No record of disciplinary actions from any state in which you are a member of the bar or from any federal court (for exceptions with mitigating circumstances, please provide an explanation)
- The ability to work independently, in a virtual, team environment
- Strong communication skills
- Flexible, adaptive, and able to work in a fast-paced environment
- A creative mindset
- Help set legal strategy and coordinate existing pro bono counsel team
- When a legal issue arises, identify the nature of the challenge and create a plan for handling the issue
- Perform legal work and/or communicate/work with outside counsel to obtain assistance as needed
- Staff and manage legal team as needed
- Coordinate collaboration with other WWW departments, teams and individuals
- Create SOPs and protocols for legal issues
- Oversee documentation and record-keeping
- As needed, perform legal research
Please send us a resume and customized cover letter outlining your experience and relevant skills, and demonstrating that you have familiarized yourself with what we do at WhoWhatWhy. We will not review applications that appear to be mass submissions. Our mission must resonate deeply with you, and we will ask you to confirm that you wish to provide pro bono legal services to us
Powered by JazzHR