Job ID: 199020016
HOUSINGAUTHORITYCITY OF KENNEWICK (KHA)
REPORTS TO: Maintenance & Development Director
POSITION SUMMARY: This is a Non-Exempt, Regular Full-Time Position. The maintenance repairer is required to perform a variety of maintenance and repair tasks for residential units, buildings, grounds, and equipment. Janitorial duties and grounds-keeping tasks are also required and include; knowledge of carpentry, plumbing, electricity, heating/cooling, and irrigation systems. The ability to operate basic hand and power tools, equipment and machinery are required in addition to rotating on-call shifts for after-hour emergency repairs. Maintenance Repairers must comply with Housing Authority & HUD regulations and policies, applicable Local, State and Federal regulations and building codes. Kennewick Housing Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position requires the ability to work independently in a courteous and professional manner, requires excellent assessment skills relating to repairs, and requires the ability to exercise good judgment while working independently and as a team member.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: Following is a description of the primary duties of the position; however, this description is not intended to be all-inclusive. KHA reserves the right to change, reassign, or combine job duties at any time and at its discretion.
SPECIFIC JOB DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS: Performs a variety of maintenance repairs in carpentry, plumbing, and electricity, including but not limited to, drywall, cabinetry (doors, hinges, knobs, etc.), interior/exterior doors & door knobs and lock (repair/replace), replacing window screens and blinds, changing sink faucets, and washers, caulking sinks and shower stalls, repairing toilets, light fixtures and bulbs, changing electrical plate covers on switches and outlets, repairing heating/cooling systems, siding and soffit repair, inspects, repairs and replaces fire extinguishers and smoke alarms, repair tile flooring (strips, mops, waxes and buffs flooring using heavy floor buffers and floor scrapers); accomplishes work in an efficient manner and within appropriate expected time frame.
Maintenance Work Orders: Generates and closes assigned maintenance work orders (routine, non-routine and emergency) by utilizing the Housing Authority computerized system, perform maintenance work order related repairs, assess tenant charges according to work performed under work order and in compliance with the Housing Authority’s Schedule of Charges within established time frames in accordance to Housing Authority, HUD, Local, State and Federal procedures, policies and regulations. Unit Inspections: Conducts unit, buildings and facilities inspections (move in/out, 3-month move-in, preventative, special and annual inspections, etc.) by utilizing hand-held computers while exercising excellent judgment in rating units to conform to Housing Authority and HUD Housing Quality Standards (HQS), procedures, policies and regulations along with applicable Local, State and Federal residential and building codes and guidelines.
Routine Grounds-keeping Duties/Tasks: Performs routine grounds work including, but not limited to, mowing and edging, weeding, spraying and fertilizing, cleaning walkways, parking lots, trash receptacle areas and general common areas including debris and trash removal, raking, trimming shrubs, trimming trees and other vegetation, snow and ice removal, cleaning gutters and downspouts using hand and power routing equipment, using a variety of hand and power equipment including gas and riding mowers, snowplow and snow blower, chain saws, leaf blowers, gas hedge trimmers and edgers, power washers, and parking lot stripers. Must be able to perform equipment repairs including sharpening and cleaning mower blades, chain saws, and other equipment and maintain outside water systems (including sprinklers), insuring systems are winterized as required.
Maintenance Department Inventory Quality Control (QC) & Purchasing: Assists Maintenance/Development Director and lead staff in maintaining the Housing Authority’s maintenance department inventory control system by ensuring efficiency and compliance and meeting budgetary standards, ordering and tracking supplies, materials, performing inventory physical counts, documenting and tracking inventory for relocation and/or for disposal/sale in compliance with Housing Authority and departmental equipment and inventory controls in accordance with Housing Authority, HUD, State and Federal procedures, policies.
Documentation of Safety & Security Items For Units, Buildings, and Facilities: Accurately and efficiently documents activities for submittal in a timely manner to the Executive Director, Maintenance/Development Director and appropriate management and department staff in accordance with Housing Authority, HUD, Local, State and Federal procedures, policies and regulations.
Preventative Maintenance Program: Responsible for carrying out maintenance duties in compliance with the Housing Authority’s Preventative Maintenance Program efficiently and in accordance with the Housing Authority and HUD procedures, policies and regulations.
On-Call Status – After Business Hour Emergency Maintenance Repairs - Rotating Shifts: Ability to comply with rotating shifts relating to on-call status to respond and conduct repairs after business hours for emergency repairs at units, buildings, and facilities.
The following is also required to maintain a knowledgeable, efficient, and consistent maintenance department:
· Remain current with occupancy standards, Housing Quality Standards (HQS), and the Public Housing Assessment System (PHAS) in accordance with the Housing Authority and HUD procedures, policies and regulations.
· Remain current and informed on HUD legislation and regulations and comply with existing and new procedures as required and as directed by the supervisor and Executive Director.
· Ability to comply with Fair Housing standards, Section 504 ADA, UFAS federal standards and Landlord/Tenant Laws.
· Ability to comply with the Housing Authority’s Safety & Health Program, OSHA, WISHA, HUD, and other applicable Local, State & Federal laws and regulations.
· Attend required training and provide support training to department staff and other agency staff for cross training purposes to ensure staff compliance with the Housing Authority, HUD, and Local, State and Federal procedures, policies and regulations.
· Ability to perform and/or assist in moving heavy objects including, but not limited to, appliances, office and maintenance equipment, furniture, etc. (i.e., refrigerators, stoves, power tools, grounds equipment/tools, etc.).
· Ability to operate agency vehicle and ability to obtain and maintain a current Washington State Driver’s License and evidence of a good driving record as required for this position.
· Maintaining Housing Authority business operations, personnel, and clientele confidentiality is mandatory for the position.
· Performing other duties as assigned by the Maintenance/Development Director and Executive Director.
· Ability to interpret and translate for staff, clients, and applicants is desirable.
· Attendance at staff meetings is required.
Physical: Duties are performed in indoor and outdoor environments, including the ability to operate in all types of settings and weather (i.e., hallways, stairs, elevators, crawl spaces, heat, cold, snow, etc.).
Other: The ability to work closely and cooperatively with supervisor, maintenance lead staff, Executive Director, other management staff, co-workers, clients, general public, and public & governmental officials. The ability to work independently with little supervision is also required.
Aside from the requirements listed, the following minimal requirements are applicable;
· Education & Experience: Must have a minimum of two (2) years of experience in the maintenance field and possess a High School Diploma or GED;
· Possess and maintain a Washington State Driver’s License and evidence of a good driving record for pre- and continued employment (must possess a valid Washington State Driver’s license within 30-days of employment);
· Ability to successfully pass a pre-employment drug screening test and pre-employment criminal background check;
· Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds;
· Individual must be capable of performing the above described functions under a variety of circumstances involving heavy lifting. Material may require to be lifted two to four feet and carried for up to twenty yards;
· Must be able to climb stairs and ladders and work at heights sometimes exceeding twenty (20) feet (often including the lifting of heavy objects such as 4’ X 8’ sheets of plywood);
· The work includes exposure to harsh cleaners and abrasive cleaning products and the use of hazardous chemicals such as pesticides and herbicides requiring the knowledge of proper safety procedures in the use of such chemicals;
· Must be accessible for continuous 24-hour on-call status in the event of after-hour maintenance emergency repairs;
· Make responsible decisions by utilizing knowledge of the Housing Authority’s total operation;
· Ability to interpret KHA and HUD policies, procedures and regulations along with Local, State & Federal Building Codes;
· Ability to work effectively with frequent interruptions;
· Communicate effectively orally and in writing;
· Be dependable, accurate, and meet deadlines under pressure;
· Ability to organize and establish priorities for work with courteousness, compassion and in a tactful manner;
· Work with little supervision;
· Be personally bondable;
· Requires ability to comply with Fair Housing, Section 504 ADA, UFAS federal standards, Landlord/Tenant Laws, OSHA, WISHA, etc.
Licenses, Certificates and Other Requirements:
· Must successfully complete and obtain a Housing Quality Standards (HQS) or UPSC training course and certification within initial probationary period (at employer’s discretion, expense, and subject to funding availability);
· Must possess and maintain a Washington State Driver’s License and evidence of a good driving record for pre- and continued employment (must possess a valid Washington State Driver’s license within 30-days of employment).